Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Me, Myself and Myanmar: The People


We had taken a local bus 3 hours from where were staying in Mwalamyine, an old school bus w/ rusted ceilings, extremely over packed - think large sacks of produce that you could fit your body into, and a large black rooster whom I affectionately named "Virgil". A woman, who possessed a similar build and the movement of my own grandmother, had waited with us for the same bus and for whatever reason she sort of took me in. We communicated in hand gestures as I repeated the name of the location where we were going. 

"Kyaikkami" I said w/ a smile pointing at the road. 

When my partner handed over our fare, she scolded the driver & made him return 1/2 the money. She pointed at her ticket for seats 36 & 37 and then pointed at me. SHE HAD PAID MY FARE! She purchased 2 small bags of lychee fruit from a vendor who approached the window at a stop & passed one to me. The people here have so much heart and are so beautiful and welcoming. Through an arduous bus ride outside of Mudon was a warm and familiar hug. ❤️

Students I encountered on Mt. Popa, outside of Bagan

No comments:

Post a Comment