Saturday, November 28, 2015

Me, Myself and Myanmar: Changes

Shwegadon Pagoda
I arrived in Myanmar along with my trusted bag of almond/macadamia nut mix a few weeks after the country's historic elections, the first democratic elections after 25 years of military rule.

In my pre-trip research, I had read many reviews suggesting that travelers to the region bring necessary cash to cover their entire itinerary in the country as ATMS are scarce. What I found in less than 24 hours was entirely the opposite. What I witnessed was rapid change. There are ATMs everywhere, SIM cards everywhere, T-Pain ring tones, monks taking selfies, Aung San Suu Kyi in transition talks with the new president and army chief. Oh, and in case you're wondering there's wifi at Shwegadon Pagoda and it's free.


Win Sein Taw Ya - Reclining Buddha near Mawlamyine

Near Mawlamyine

Inside the Reclining Buddha near Mawlamyine - Win Sein Taw Ya

No comments:

Post a Comment